(Senior) scientist - metabolic modeling
About EV Biotech:
EV Biotech is a biotechnology company that creates microbial production platforms for high-value chemicals and proteins using computational modelling and microorganisms. By combining classical fermentation methods with the latest developments in modelling approaches we have revolutionised the methods of microbial strain engineering. Our microbial cells factories (MCFs) provide effective, bio-based alternatives to conventional chemical-synthetic production processes. Our Groningen-based team has been operational since July 2018 and is dedicated to EV’s mission to evolve the chemical feedstock market by shifting it from petrochemical-based to bio-based chemical production, thereby creating a greener economy for all.
We are looking for a (Senior) scientist – metabolic modeling to strengthen our EV team (36-40 h per week).
Scope of the position:
Key to the rational design of microbial cell factories are optimally designed synthetic metabolic pathways embedded in the host microorganism. In this position, you will lead the development of in silico methods to support metabolic pathway and strain design, genetic construct design, phenotype analysis, and to improve the performance of microbes on both lab and pilot scale. As a (senior) scientist you will join a larger technical team that develops best practices in designing experiments and computer-aided learning for strain performance improvement. In your role you will support the ongoing customer projects, as well as develop novel algorithms and methods to increase the predictive capacity of in silico models. You will advise and train EV employees on data analysis and integration, and support the design of experiments. Furthermore, you will collaborate with a data steward to implement online data quality monitoring, data querying, and process automation.
– Lead in silico design and evaluation of metabolic pathways and strain phenotypes aimed at producing a variety of molecules across multiple host organisms (through genome-scale and kinetic modelling);
– Lead omics data analysis, and data integration with metabolic models to support the design, build, and test of microbe engineering;
– Expand available software infrastructure to fulfil required modelling tasks and integrate them with the existing workflow;
– (Co-)Supervise modelling analysts, software engineers, and tech interns;
– Work in close collaboration with tech and experimental teams.
– PhD degree in (Microbial) Systems Biology or equivalent research experience;
– Deep understanding of cellular physiology and metabolism for a variety of eukaryotic and prokaryotic microbes incl. redox metabolism, energy usage, product transport, impact of protein overproduction on growth and health, etc;
– Demonstrable experience in data-driven computational modelling of biochemical networks, including development and application of novel modelling algorithms to successfully address biological questions (genome-scale modelling and/or kinetic modelling, fermentation modeling, etc.);
– Demonstrable programming skills, e.g. open-source contributions to projects in Python, R, Matlab or the like;
– Experience with collaborative software development tools, e.g. Git, Overleaf;
– Experience in statistical analysis of omics datasets, data visualisation, and automation of workflows;
– Strong communication skills including excellent command of the English language;
– Personal competencies: planning and organizing, communication skills, persuasion, strategy development, curious, analytical, and team player.
– An exciting, professional work environment;
– Growth opportunities and support in personal development;
– A diverse and international team of colleagues, dedicated to EV’s mission to contribute to a greener and more sustainable society;
– Good primary and secondary benefits.
Terms and conditions
A successful candidate will initially be appointed for 6 months with the possibility of renewal and the intention to turn the position into a permanent one, based on the performance and financial resources. Salary range from € 2,790.- to € 4,402.- gross per month (based on the candidate’s experience).
Then let us know why you are the best candidate. Please send your motivation and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org